The History of Grace Baptist Church
After Rev. Cobble left the church was without a Pastor for four months. It was during this time that the congregation moved in August 1944 to the old Memorial Methodist Church Building located on East “F” street. This building became available because of the merger of two Methodist churches. Grace actually purchased the property in November 1944 for $17,000. This building was to house Grace Baptist Church for the next 23 years.
Pastor Travis, an east Tennessee native, came to Grace Baptist from CrossRoad Church of Georgetown, Indiana. He and his wife Becki moved to Elizabethton with their three children Asher, Adalynn, and Xander. A Southern Seminary graduate, Pastor Tyler continues to lead the church to have a Great Commission focus. Under Pastor Tyler’s leadership the church has established a GriefShare ministry, Common Ground (a contemporary worship service), and a DivorceCare ministry.